Journals

DIY Fabric Dori

Another DIY fabric dori. This was one of those projects that was a challenge to see if I could make a
fauxdori fabric cover with no eyelets and holes.. And it truned out great. I got the idea from some junk journal yt videos. So I sewed a piece of medium plastic cut ( 1" x 81/2" ) from a report cover in the middle. Then I wrapped elastic around it so I had 7 strands. Thats the part where the booklets slip in under each strand.as seen below. The design was inspired by Lendule 53 blog. She is so creative and does beautiful work.  The size is 9 x 12 1/2 "but you can make it any size you want, what ever fits your needs. I make my own inserts that are 81/4 x 41/2"for this one.

 So this is an inside view. I added 3 horizontal pockets on the right and virtical ones on the left and on the right. So 7 pockets altogether.
I used a heavy Pellon cut to size (Rounded the corners,) to help make it stiffer. I left a large opening at the bottom and inserted the Pellon, making sure all my seams were on top of the Pellon.  Then hand sewed the the opening closed. Then top stitched all around.

This is the front and back view.

Top view and you can see how the elastic goes over the plastic. I like how the booklets, folders. and etc. line up. I left plenty of room for overhang so pens fit nicely. They are hanging on sm binder clips.
I put a simple and easy button closure.

Have a blessed creative week!



12 comments:

ArtInMyHeartToo said...

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

paperlovin said...

Very beautiful

paperlovin said...

Very beautiful

MySummerTouch said...

Wow! This is a great idea!

MySummerTouch said...

Wow! This is a great idea!

Linda said...

I am very intrigued by your idea. I made a fabric "dori" but wasn't too thrilled with how the eyelets turned out. I didn't want raw edges either which is how most of the fabric dori's I've seen online are made. Like you, I added pellon to the inside via the bottom. Your idea using a plastic strip to hold the elastics is brilliant! I wonder if a strip of a plastic file folder might work. I take it you sewed the plastic only on the long edges and not across the top and bottom of the elastic, right?

I especially like your inside pockets.

Any chance you might do a detailed tutorial here or on you tube?

Thanks so much for sharing! I've not seen another one even remotely like yours. You've given me much to think about!

Tara D said...

I love this!

DiscoD'Eva said...

Nice!

Lendule53 said...

Bravo!!! povedla se ti, moc krásné. A děkuji za zmínku♥.

Laurabeebumble said...

This is just what i've been looking for, I don't want to buy leather and I can't see to find any faux notebooks. I've got lots of fabric so I think this will be my next project thanks for posting

Brenda said...

This is a wonderful project ,thanks for sharing.

Sharon said...

Thank you ladies . I don't do youtubes. And yes plastic folder work as long as you can sew through them. Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...